Monday 11 October 2010

Toys



Roland Barthes says;

"All the toys one commonly sees are essentially a microcosm of the adult world".
And that for instance, a girls doll is "meant to...'condition' her to her future role as mother" (Barthes, 1972).

So toys are for educating children to make them fit in the current system of society, in one sense.

I used to think that toys were tools to train creativity of human being, and I think that's also true.
When I went to V&A, I saw the old brick toy made in Britain exhibited there and found the caption, saying;

'various systems of building blocks were available after the war. The image of domestic blisson the lid of the Bayko (the company’s name) set contrasted sharply with the reality of bomb-damaged Britain.'

It could be taken that these brick toys appeals the mind of D.I.Y of children, encouraging them to be productive in order to develop the nation towards the next generation. In terms of it, toys are to be used to promote creativity.

I just like these toys, however, because they can have a pure function of amusing people, which can prompt communication among them.

I found the chair with a scanner equipped on its seat, scanning the images of visitors' butts.
It seems to be useless at a glance, but it's a lot fun and makes people laugh.

I don't like to sum up to say that toys have a function of amusing people, enriching their lives, or function is to generate communication.
I'm purely attracted by it's meaninglessness, but strong sense of existence as object which definitely have some influence on people.

No comments:

Post a Comment